[uk] Accès direct au contenu
The Montpellier Agglomération territory is served by a complete telecommunication network that gives fast and easy access to the entire world.
Four long-range communication networks converge in Montpellier :
- France Telecom backbone
- Télécom Développement fibre optic network
- Sud de la France highway network
- The LDCom network, which leverages the infrastructure provided by the French River Network (Voies Navigables de France)
All communication technologies are available on local broadband infrastructure :
- ADSL on France Telecom's local wire-line loop or Firstmark's local wireless loop
- Cable, using the France Télécom cable network
- Fibre optics, via one of the nine carriers present in Montpellier
- Satellite access, undergoing tests upon request of the Region's Prefecture.
Many innovative initiatives have been taken by the City of Montpellier and Montpellier Agglomération:
- The City of Montpellier has a local television network license for terrestrial transmission.
- Since 2002, the metropolitan Pégase network (municipal telecommunication infrastructure) has offered closed user groups broadband communications at speeds greater than 1 gigabyte.
- Montpellier Agglomération is the first in France to deploy Wi-Fi extensively in public places, including tramway stations, city hall, community centres, train stations, conference halls, incubators and universities.